Best beginner gym workouts
Where to start
For many first-time gym goers finding a place to get started can often be the hardest part. There are a lot of aspects to consider before even stepping into the gym, but we have put together a few points to help you along the way and kick-off your fitness journey.
Having a successful gym experience can be influenced by many different factors but a few of the main aspects to keep in mind include:
1. Wearing comfortable and breathable clothing ensures you can focus on your workout while also making you feel relaxed and ready to work out.
2. Staying hydrated during your workout is important regardless of whether you are pushing yourself to your limits or taking it slow, so make sure you always have a water bottle at the ready. We recommend taking small sips in between sets.
3. Setting goals for yourself so you know what you can focus on and work towards. Having a specific but achievable goal in mind can keep you motivated and help you track your progress.
Don’t rush – fitness and wellness are two things that take time and practice, so instant results are not always possible. The important thing to remember is that consistency is key, and this will help you to monitor your progress and build healthy habits, which will benefit future you.
What we would recommend
Once you are dressed and ready to start your workout, the question of “where to start” will certainly be on your mind. Here are a few of our personal favourites and suggestions for you to try:
1. Equipment to try: Technogym Elliptical trainer
Finding the right equipment to use on your first visit to the gym doesn’t have to be daunting – especially when we have the Technogym Elliptical trainer to help you get started. This machine allows you to enjoy a full-body workout without the hassle of figuring out how it works. All our Technogym machines are loaded with “how to” guides and training examples to follow so that you can get the most out of the machine in the easiest, fastest and safest way possible.
2. Mywellness guided programmes:
The Mywellness app ensures that all your fitness statistics, progress and goals can be stored on one app. This also includes guided training programmes that you can select, alternate between, and learn from to ensure your form and technique are correct. The guided programmes are a helpful way for any beginner to get comfortable with the equipment and understand how different exercises should be done to avoid injury while maximising fitness.
3. Group classes to attend – group classes are a great way to get started with working out as the group setting and teamwork-centric atmosphere helps to make you feel comfortable and supported throughout the workout. A few great classes to try first include:
Our spinning classes are an easy way to introduce yourself to full-body workouts guided by our expert instructors or even done at your own pace. Spinning incorporates both upper-body and lower-body movements that will improve both your stamina and muscle strength. Our state-of-the-art spinning studio is equipped with the best sound, lighting and equipment to ensure you experience a 6-star ride every time.
- Les Mills Tone
Les Mills classes infuse sound, movement, and energy into every workout session to ensure you are getting fit and having fun. The Les Mills Tone class is a perfect example of this as it will help you tone your muscles while keeping you moving towards your fitness goals. Our classes are guided by our expert instructors who are always happy and ready to help you perfect a movement and enjoy our immersive classes to their fullest.
Practise makes progress
Everybody’s fitness journey looks and progresses differently but the most important thing to remember is that you have to put in the effort to get started. Finding your way in a gym and seeing which exercises, classes and workouts you enjoy is an engaging and often enjoyable process as it helps you discover a world of fitness that most people never knew existed. Your success is completely up to you, but Body Action Gym endeavours to be with you every step of the way along your fitness journey to make it a little easier to navigate.