F is for Fit – and French Toast
French toast is an all-time favourite. We have just the recipe that will combine taste and health! That’s right – a healthy breakfast recipe ftw! What makes this particular recipe healthier than any ordinary French toast? We’re glad you asked! This recipe is healthier because it contains rye bread, which is Low GI to keep you fuller for longer. We suggest using a little Spray n Cook as a substitute for butter – so we’re lowering your oil intake – you’re welcome. Add some fresh fruits and maple syrup (or honey) for touch of sweetness.
Our fantastic recipe makes a serving for one that takes only 20 minutes to make. Double up if you want to share with your friends and family! You can also make a gluten-free option with gluten-free bread
French Toast Ingredients
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml low fat milk
- Ground cinnamon – taste accordingly
- Spray ‘n Cook
- 2 slices of rye bread/ health bread
- 100 g blueberries/ raspberries
- 125 g sliced strawberries
- Maple syrup – or honey
- Lemon zest
- Whisk your egg, milk and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Put a pan on medium heat and spray the pan with Spray ‘n Cook.
- Dip both sides of your bread in the egg mix – evenly. Don’t put too much though – let some drip off. You don’t want your French Toast to bee too eggy!
- Cook each side in the pan until golden brown.
- Top off your breakfast with some honey/ maple syrup, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and your lemon zest!
We hope you enjoy your healthy breakfast!
Let us know how your French Toast tastes on social media – or send us any added recipes you’d like us to feature on our website!